Solo Traveler: a great concept that has many stories about how life changing experience it is. You get to discover yourself, introspect and push your limits to greater confidence. I agree with all. But I am more of ‘traveling with a companion’ kind of person. Here are my top reasons why I do not like being a solo traveler:
- A friend in need is a friend indeed: The joy of sharing the same craze for travel with a person who keeps a similar level of enthusiasm and most importantly expressing the craze then and there is what I love.
- As a safety measure: Any unfortunate event may lead to bad experience in such a way that we might not be able to overcome it anytime soon. But call it some psychological cushion that having a companion makes me feel safe.
- So boring to eat alone: Eating alone is boring. As a solo traveler I can’t order varieties, may or may not some stranger like to share a meal or to chat on all sorts of the topic while eating.
- Reviving bonds: A trip with friends/cousins/relatives make you relive old memories. We all have busy schedules, some live in different cities. So meeting with buddies can be possible only on a friends trip.
- Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara: Certain movies like Dil Chahta Hai and ZNMD have shaped this idea of a trip with friends in a ‘cool’ way, where you create memories of a lifetime at a new place, talk senseless and as sensitive and just live carefreely.
- A norm: Trust me, in India when you (especially a girl) say it loud to parents that I want to go as a solo traveler, a usual straight away answer will be NO. Their concern for your safety is not wrong. Finally, they will say ‘Friends ke saath akeli chali jaa‘ (Go ALONE with your FRIENDS)
- Family Bonding: Home is a place to be but family trips help to relax and rejuvenate from the boring mundane life. As a solo traveler, you might miss that fun and carefree side of your parents that you would see on a family trip.
- Clicking pics: I admit that I have horrendous selfie skills. Also, I like to enjoy the moment instead of clicking. Thus it is always good to have a travel companion who can do these stuff, where I can pose and get clicked or a candid click for memories to live later.